Home page
Welcome center
Ministries
Sermon
Church school
Prayer


Pastoral Team:
Rosanna McFadden
Elizabeth Kelsey


We worship at:
60455 CR 113
Elkhart, IN 46517
Phone: 574-875-7800
Fax: 574-875-7885

Sunday Worship
9:30 a.m.
Fellowship Time
10:45 a.m.
Church School
11:00 a.m.
Visitors welcome!
All times are
Eastern Time.

   

History of Creekside Church
and the former Elkhart City COB

[Elkhart County Location Map]BRETHREN IN ELKHART COUNTY

The 1820's and 1830's brought an influx of ethnic people to Elkhart County, among them were the Brethren, then known as German Baptist Brethren, who came seeking homesteads. The West Goshen church (1830) was the first established German Baptist Congregation in Elkhart County. (This congregation's name was originally Elkhart, but was changed to West Goshen in 1915 to avoid confusion with Elkhart City.) Congregations first met in barns; the Portage church in St. Joseph County had the first building, constructed in 1851 and is still standing.

As more Brethren made their way surrounding West Goshen, the Elkhart district was divided (1837) and other congregations were organized - Turkey Creek (1838), south part of the district; Rock Run (1850) in the eastern part and Yellow Creek (1853). Those to the north of Yellow Creek were sent a minister to preach to them until finally a meeting house was built in 1865-66 in the heart of Concord Township and named Elkhart Valley. It was considered the northern meeting house of the Yellow Creek congregation. Elkhart Valley became a separate congregation in 1870. Their original brick building, with several alterations, is still home to the Elkhart Valley congregation.

 

 

Top of page