Home page
Welcome center
Ministries
Sermon
Church school
Prayer


Pastoral Team:
Rosanna McFadden
Elizabeth Kelsey


We worship at:
60455 CR 113
Elkhart, IN 46517
Phone: 574-875-7800
Fax: 574-875-7885

Sunday Worship
9:30 a.m.
Fellowship Time
10:45 a.m.
Church School
11:00 a.m.
Visitors welcome!
All times are
Eastern Time.

   

History of Creekside Church
and the former Elkhart City COB

1990 - 1996

Pastor Arlin Claassen resigned effective April 10, 1991 and Dorotha Fry and Charles Stouder served as interim pastors from May 1991 to April 1992. In July of 1991 the one-Sunday a month hymn sing began. Then in September a men's octet was formed.

In September 1991 restoration and cleaning of the painting at the front of the sanctuary, "Christ in the Garden" painted in 1928 by church member, Golda Moyer, was completed. The work was done by Joel Camp of the Midwest Art Museum.

In January 1992 Church Council voted to call David Bibbee as full-time pastor, beginning May 1992 as recommended by the Church Board.

Ida Pressler resigned as Preschool Director in 1991 and Paula Mumaw then took her place. In March 1992 the Church Council voted to accept the proposal of S.M.S. Construction of Middlebury to replace the flat roof on the education wing with a new roof that would carry a 20-year warranty at a cost of $13,233. The Sonshine Company was formed, offering crafts and activities for children, alternating with children's choir practice.

It was 100 years ago, 1893, that the first Elkhart City church building was erected and a new congregation was started. Centennial activities for the year included a joint service with the mother church, Elkhart Valley; a memorabilia room had items depicting the church's history; a new picture directory, with 100-year history included was published; a special program was held on the anniversary Sunday, October 3 with former pastors and wives as guests. Also, commemorative mugs, T-shirts, and sweatshirts were sold through the year. The theme for the year was "People with a past, a presence, a purpose!" On May 9, fifty-two persons who had been an important part of shaping the 100-year heritage were honored. They had been members of the Elkhart City church for 50-75 years with a cumulative total of nearly 2,800 years.

In September unanimous approval was given to hire Charles Stouder as Minister of Visitation to work 8-10 hours a week at a salary of $100 per month plus travel expenses; he continued this ministry until 1996. The revised church constitution with job descriptions was adopted; Council voted that the church participate in and support the Stephen Ministries to supplement caregiving in the church. The Dream Team was organized in November.

 

Top of page