of Creekside Church
and the former Elkhart City COB
1900 - 1927
The church building
was remodeled in 1902. The front entrance was changed to the street
level and the auditorium wall was moved to make room for classrooms.
V. Felthouse replaced Pastor Heestand as part-time pastor in
1904; it was decided to support the minister with $300-$350 and
allow him to work half time. From 1905 to 1907 preaching was done
by several ministers; they were paid $1.00 per sermon. In 1907 E.
L Heestand became the full-time pastor with a salary of $500 a year;
he served until 1909 when Clem C. Kindy became pastor and served
until September 1911.
1911 until January 1918 volunteers from the congregation filled
the pulpit. In May of 1917 $1,258.89 was pledged for building more
classrooms, enlarging the basement, and installing a furnace. Membership
in 1917 was 125. Elias C. Swihart came as
part-time pastor in January 1918; he was employed as full-time pastor
in January 1920 at $25 a week; he served until 1924.
In 1923, the
pulpit was added, a baptistery was built under the pulpit floor,
the auditorium was extended, a coat room and balcony were added,
a square tower was built on the northwest corner of church which
housed the vestibule and classrooms, and the basement was extended.
Cost, $6500. The remodeling was completed and dedicated on September
30, 1923. In July 1924 William J. Buckley came to serve as full-time
pastor; he left in November of 1926; in 1927 William
Kinsey came and served as full-time pastor until April of 1932.
Top of page