of Creekside Church
and the former Elkhart City COB
1935 - 1950
W. Phillips was called to serve as full-time pastor in September
1935. A choir loft and stairway to the pulpit from the basement
were built in 1936.
In 1941, following
a long, hard struggle during the Depression, the parsonage mortgage
was burned and a fund was started for a new church building ($45,000
3, 1943, the church celebrated its 50th anniversary. With a membership
of 600, average church attendance of 267, and Sunday School attendance
of 300, Elkhart City was one of the largest congregations in the
Northern Indiana District.
of 1949 was "the inauguration and pursuing of the construction
of the new church. The ground breaking service was held on July
15 and the Cornerstone Laying Ceremony on October 2," as reported
in the 1949 Pastor's Report.
Top of page