of Creekside Church
and the former Elkhart City COB
AT WOLF AND BENHAM
church as it was originally built.
The new brick
building, costing $136,000, was dedicated on June 25, 1950. The
old church on Sixth Street was sold to UMW, Dist. 50, for $15,000.
B. Statler became the full-time pastor in 1950, replacing George
Phillips who had been the full-time pastor since 1935.
As of October
1, 1952, the following plan of church organization went into effect:
Under the Church Council, the final authority in the local congregation,
were the Official Board and the Church Board. The Official Board
was composed of the elders, ministers, and deacons of the local
congregation. Under the Church Board were ten departments: Nominations
and Personnel; Property (Trustees); Stewardship and Finance; Recreation
and Social Life; Brethren Service; Missions; Christian Education;
Music and Worship; Evangelism; Ministry.
In 1957, a
second parsonage was purchased on the southwest corner of Cleveland
and Benham for $12,000. It was sold in 1973 to Church Community
a three year period, 1957-1960, three men from Bethany Seminary
in Chicago served as intern pastors - Carl Showalter (1957); Martin
Gauby (1958); Dale Shenefelt (1959).
1960 Charles DuMond was called to serve as
full-time pastor. In 1962 Eleanor Painter
came as full-time Director of Christian Education and initiated
the start of the church library that year. (Eventually the library
would hold 1,200 volumes of interest to all age groups.)
Top of page